Experience and Skills
- Some experience lifeguarding at a pool or lake preferred.
- ARC Waterfront Lifeguard Certification within 2 weeks of employment start.
- First Aid and CPR Certification.
- Desire and ability to work with children outdoors in the water.
- Knowledge and prior use of a powerboat as used for water rescues.
- At least 17 years of age.
- Ability to pass the lifeguard certification physical requirements and maintain those skills throughout the summer.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an AmeriCorps member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environment and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
- Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the service environment is usually moderate.