Experience and Skills
- Some experience lifeguarding at a pool or lake preferred.
- ARC Waterfront Lifeguard Certification within 2 weeks of
- First Aid and CPR Certification.
- Desire and ability to work with children outdoors in the water.
- Knowledge and prior use of a powerboat as used for water rescues.
- At least 17 years of age.
- Ability to pass the lifeguard certification physical requirements
and maintain those skills throughout the summer.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that
must be met by an AmeriCorps member to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and
skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environment
and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring
- Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation,
illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to
maintain constant supervision of campers.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in
the service environment is usually moderate.