Experience and Skills
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Some college, major in Education or Recreation preferred
- One year of full-time experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to organize and plan activities for children ages 7-14.
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent organizational, and communication skills.
- Strong background in education preferred.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Some physical requirements of this position could be endurance including prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, walking long distances, hiking, climbing, and stretching; requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate outdoor equipment and camp activities; requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs; willing to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities; and with daily exposure to the sun, heat, and animals such as bugs, snakes, bats, etc.
The service environment characteristics described here are representative of those a member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.