Tutor K5-3rd grade struggling readers in the SPARK Early Literacy Program, using a set lesson
plan and program materials. Research, write, and organization SPARKBright After-School
curriculum, plan and facilitate training for SPARKBright After-School tutors, and lead-teach
SPARKBright After-School lessons when necessary.
AmeriCorps members agree to complete a term of National Service; as they support Boys & Girls
Clubs of Greater Milwaukee programming and receive a set living allowance. Upon successful completion of this term of service, AmeriCorps members are eligible for a Segal AmeriCorps
- Create individualized lesson plans, following the set program format, for all assigned students.
- Tutor assigned students 3x weekly.
- Complete all reports and documentation, as required, including bi-weekly family information log.
- Assist in the development, acquisition and maintenance of literacy materials and SPARKBright curriculum materials. .
- Help create, utilize, and maintain a print-rich literacy environment.
- Establishes and maintains a rapport with school staff and parents.
- Assist with the maintenance of a detailed binder for each SPARK participant in order to monitor reading progress and report on program impact.
- Provides written documentation of program implementation.
- Meet all deadlines.
- Provide guidance and direction to SPARK participants in the areas of academic success, healthy lifestyles, and civic and community engagement.
- Participates in programs, projects, and special events.
- Participate in required trainings by the Club, County, State, and /or funder.
- Attend training and professional development around social emotional learning (SEL), including webinars on CASEL’s Five SEL Competencies
- Plan and facilitate training for SPARKBright After-School tutors, including teen mentors, and including best practice around CASEL, trauma-informed care, and growth mindset
- Assist Program and Club Managers in selecting and grouping students
- Collaborate with tutors to plan SPARKBright lessons and model instruction.
- Conduct student and tutor assessments, record program data, and keep field report logs to chart progress of students in the program.
- Summer responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Select Club members in need of reading recovery and conduct summer SPARK sessions
- Aggregate SPARKBright After-School data for final reports.
- Run SPARKBright summer groups.
- Train and mentor teens to run SPARKBright summer groups in Clubs.
- Assist in selecting curriculum and organizing physical materials for next year’s program.